I’ve fought this whole diaper bag thing for a while. I totally embraced it when my kiddo was an infant, but just didn’t see the point in investing in another bag after he was running around and soon-to-be toilet trained.
My last diaper-friendly bag broke and I was using a regular handbag…which is just not good when you frequent the park.
Then a few things happened to open my eyes on how a new diaper bag would be a really good investment (and how badly I needed one):
- My kiddo leaked all over when he had a LOT to drink one day at the park, and had no extra change of clothes
- All my toddler cups leaked in a loose bag, they needed sturdy pockets
- When snacks run out, meltdowns happen…my bag only could hold so much
- And like I said, my strap broke on my last bag
[clickToTweet tweet=”Why every mom needs a diaper backpack, from infant to preschooler! #momlife #toddler via @amerytina” quote=”Why every mom needs a diaper backpack, from infant to preschooler! “]
So I went on a shopping mission, my favorite kind. I needed a bag…
- That would be light and easy to carry
- Has lots and lots of pockets and compartments
- Has a wetbag
- Has some insulation
- Has an easy pocket for my cell phone
- Was easy to rummage through
- Feminine yet unisex
- Trendy, but afforadable
It was a tall order. And after lots of research (and a few girlfriends with backpacks) I decided to get a backpack. I never really considered myself to be one to use a diaper backpack, but have you read about my super hyper, active toddler boy? Yup, sometimes this mama has to run fast and at the drop of a hat.
After a lot of research, review reading, internet stalking and picture viewing I finally picked my bag.
Disclaimer: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, and at no extra cost to you, I may receive a small commission. I only recommend products that I personally love.
Y’all – this bag is legit. It is 5X lighter than any bag I’ve used (diaper or otherwise) and it holds so much more.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Too legit to quit – a mom’s best diaper backpack. #momlife #toddler #diaperbag via @amerytina” quote=”Too legit to quit – a mom’s best diaper backpack. “]
So, for those of you wondering what you should pack for an active toddler that isn’t toilet trained yet, here are my suggestions:
- 2-4 diapers and travel wipes – I’ve been a fan of Honest diapers since my baby was born, but I just ordered these Amazon Brand Mama Bear diapers after reading good reviews. One day down and we are happy so far!
- My favorite changing pad clutch from JJ Cole – I still love this because I can easily grab it if I need to do something quick (and even put my phone or money in it) without having to take my whole backpack down.
- A change of clothes (one top, one pant).
- Honest hand sanitizer and Babyganics hand sanitizing wipes.
- Sunscreen – I usually carry Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen but had run out and picked this little one pictured above at the Cameron Park Zoo.
- Leak proof sippy cup – this Miracle Cup and Wow Cup Mini are my kiddo’s favorites, and mine is the Thinkbaby Thinkster Straw. He’s been boycotting that one for a year now for some reason!
- Snacks…here are some of my favs (or rather, BabyCoolJ’s favs): Bars, Cheddar Bunnies and Dried Fruit.
- Activities for restaurant outings. (read this post, you’ll thank me later!)
- My own essentials: wallet, lipstick, chapstick, mints, stevia, cell phone, sunglasses and keys.
All of this, fits into this one light and chic bag. And there’s tons of room for more.
Best part is the price, this awesome diaper backpack is less than $40. Who needs a designer $120 bag? Not me. And this one is hubby approved.
Do you carry anything different in your bag? I love hearing about other’s ideas!
10 thoughts on “What’s in my diaper backpack: toddler edition”
Oh I do love it! It looks super trendy, it doesn’t even look like a diaper bag!
They designed it so well! I’m glad times have changed since I was a kid and everything was cartoons or flowers!
Love it! I’m paranoid about the diapers though, and I always have eight in my bag and at least two changes of clothes… ;p
You are much more prepared than me! I have an interesting kiddo, it is rare for him to “go” when we are out. I rarely have to change his diaper!
How Cool! I seriously wish that I had a backpack type of bag when my daughter was little, It’s so hard to carry everything, because those Diaper Bags never ever stay on your shoulder.. LOL! I love the color you picked too!! Super Cute!
Girl, for real! I was so tired of it falling that I started to just leave my bag in the car. Then the real chaos came! Glad they make these backpacks look chic now!
I really like the material of that bag! Very chic. Good idea packing the sunscreen. I didn’t think of that and will add to my diaper bag asap.
Yes, it is actually a really high quality bag! And I hear ya – living in Texas, it is a total must have!
Oh I love that bag. I need to upgrade (downsize) to a new one so I will look for one like this maybe.
Thanks, Jenn! It is an awesome bag.